Wednesday, March 19, 2008

"Funny Games" is not so funny


"You must admit, you brought this on yourself."

I'll start off with Funny Games. I saw the movie - starring Naomi Watts and Tim Roth - Sunday night at Alamo Drafthouse and loved it! The film is a shot-by-shot remake of the Austrian film by the same name and same director.
The film is, of course, not for entertainment. Two young men hold hostage a lovely little American family when they go off on vacation. What I loved most is Michael Haneke's own game of playing with the audience. The film is obviously not made for entertainment considering the plot and the violence; it is a message to movie-goers everywhere. And I completely agree and love it. I'm not sure if I could watch the film simply because it is quite disturbing but I am very interested in watching the 1997 Austrian version.
I read in an interview with Naomi Watts that Haneke encouraged the characters to have different physical and emotional actions because they are American in this 2008 version instead of Austrian. Naomi Watts also talked about the acceptance of the film and how one of the most intriguing aspects is Haneke's toying with the audience.
Personally, if Haneke didn't have the message to the audience I think the film would have been a waste of time. But it kept me entertained and shocked the entire time. I highly recommend it!

Have you seen the full-length trailer for Mamma Mia!? It's disappointing. I do enjoy some Abba songs (who doesn't?!) and I am in love with the loverly Meryl Streep, but those are my only motivations for planning on seeing the movie. It just seems... lame and cheesy. From the trailer it's too childish and playful, like the actors were running around the beach all day and THEN filmed without any care in the world. But, we'll see.

Look at the suckfest of movies coming out this weekend! Drillbit Taylor (I could stand you in The Darjeeling Limited, Owen, but I will not tolerate you here), Meet the Browns (it would take too long to complain about this one), Shutter (another scary movie with a pretty girl, pretty boy, and creepy Asian girl with a tongue problem - why?!), and La Misma Luna (this trailer looks SO. EFFING. CHEESY.). So, I won't be going to the movies this weekend! I hope you won't, too.

UT is having a screening of Juno on March 27! :)

Last comment: I Am Legend came out on DVD yesterday. Don't waste your time. I hate that movie with a fiery passion.

Tiff.. is this boring? I think this is boring, me blabbing about movies.

2 comments:

tiffelie said...

I don't think it's boring! I do think that you should add some points of interest to your arguments. They seem too general and vague at the moment.

I too, love ABBA songs. V tried to get me to sing "Fernando" for karaoke, as you know that did not fly with me. I think another reason to watch Mama Mia would be for Colin Firth, he's just charming in a goofy sort of way.

tiffelie said...

So I just watched the full length trailer for Mama Mia and in it's defense.... (even though I do think it's cheesy) I think it works. I mean, musicals are suppose to showcase the songs and well, lets face it, ABBA songs ARE a big cheesy. From what I can tell, it looks fitting of the music and the emotions... can't tell if that's a good thing yet or not. ;)